Question:

Thread Crochet: How to assemble motifs for a tablecloth?

by  |  earlier

0 LIKES UnLike

I've made doilies before; but this is my first tablecloth. It requires a total of 176 motifs, and when finished the tablecloth will be 11 rows of 16 motifs each. Oh, the motifs are square-shaped. This pattern has me assembling as I go, i.e., the first motif is made and completed. Then the second (and all remaining) motif is joined to the first motif while crocheting the last row. The joining round has two separate instructions... for One Side Joining and Two Side Joining. I understand all that and how to join... but I am not sure *how* to add the motifs. Do I just make a row of 16 motifs and then for the 17th, just start joining to Motif #1 on Row 1? Or, do I join in a diagonal fashion? Like make Motif #1, the attach Motif #2 to Motif #1's bottom edge; then Motif #3 joined to Motif #1's right edge; then Motif #4 joined to M#2's right edge & M#3's bottom edge?

Am I over-thinking this?

Thank you SO much for your help! I promise to give 10pts for Best Answer!

Cindy

Tags:

2 ANSWERS

1. Hmm, either way is OK! But if you prefer to join 2 mostly sides, I'd go w/ the diagonal join.

2. Hi Cindy! I like to make the first row and have it complete. Then on the first motif of the second row attach it to the side of the very first motif. the second motif in the second row is attached on 2 sides to the first row and the first motif in the second row.

If you think this is going to be a project you may not care to make quite that large. then do 4 motifs and start doing rounds of the primary square of the 4 motifs after that.

That way it could be finished when you get totally bored with the whole thing, or you could even make it larger than original pattern if you wanted a bedspread out of it later.

Crocheting motifs is so much fun sometimes. You can make it do whatever you want it to do. Give it your own brand of uniqueness!!!

Question Stats

Latest activity: earlier.
This question has 2 answers.

BECOME A GUIDE

Share your knowledge and help people by answering questions.